Anyone who was due to re-certify during the 2020 season
has been given an extension until the end of 2021
due to COVID-19 related restrictions.
PMBIA LEVEL 1 RE-CERTIFICATION $59CAD
ONLINE TRAINING & RE-CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
The PMBIA certifications are valid for three years. This online program is for PMBIA Members who wish to remain up to date and current with their training and knowledge. For members to hold a valid Level 1 Instructor Certificate, they must complete this program prior to the three year term expiring.
This online recertification program is also the perfect way for instructors to update their knowledge to the latest teaching and riding techniques to ensure consistent, professional coaching standards throughout the mountain bike industry.
This online program enables all our members worldwide to benefit from the training and support from PMBIA to keep their skills fresh and sharp, so they can continue to inspire and safely create the next generation of riders!
This program provides access to all the PMBIA Course Materials, including the PMBIA Reference Guide, Level 1 Course Booklet, Video Workshops, Quizzes and the Level 1 Worksheet. After completing the tasks, each member will be provided a new, three year Level 1 Certification, in their member profile.
- PMBI Level 1 Certification no older than three years. If you have a PMBI Level 1 certification older than three years, you will need to take the full PMBI Level 1 course, again (some extensions have been granted due to covid!)
- Riders should be comfortable climbing and descending intermediate, rough terrain, with roots and rocks, cornering with speed and performing basic maneuvers such as front and rear wheel lifts, pedalling wheel lifts and small roll-down style drop-offs. Riders don’t need to be an expert on black trails, but being able to ride some single blacks will enable you to ride blue trails with enough extra bandwidth and mental capacity to guide and teach clients comfortably, effectively and safely.
- Instructors must be able to consistently show beginner to intermediate skills at “demo quality”, to help show a clear “picture” to their students.
- Confident riding at trail speed on technical, intermediate terrain, including green, blue and “light” black trails.
- 40hr Wilderness First Aid Certification, or equivalent, strongly recommended
- The minimum age for Level 1 is 15 years old. However, the PMBIA does recommend Level 1 instructors younger than 17, work with an assistant coach of age to help deal with any personal, first aid or emergency situations, should they arise.
Outlined below is the online training program. After registering for the program, you will gain access to the Level 1 Recertification Booklet, which will include the relevant links to access the videos, quizzes and worksheet.Following your completion of the quizzes and worksheet, your work will be reviewed and if successful, members will receive a new three-year Level 1 Certification in their member profile within 14 days of completing the tasks.
In the members area after you are logged in, you’ll have access to the PMBIA Reference Guide and the Level 1 Booklet. Read both to help you refresh your knowledge and skills, and to help complete the quizzes and worksheets, below.
2. VIDEOS & QUIZZES!
LEVEL 1 RIDING COMPETENCIES
Candidates must show Comfortable, Consistent, Correct technique on green, blue and ‘light’ single black technical trails, to effectively demonstrate the Six Skills. You must make sure your riding skills have at least been maintained at this level since the course, but ideally have progressed beyond these standards as you work towards the Level 2 Certification. Click on these videos to watch and review the Level 1 Riding Standards and Foundation Maneuvers.
FIRST AID WORKSHOP
Included in the program is a first aid workshop video with PMBIA’s top Course Conductors. Following the video members will also need to complete a quiz.
- First Aid Video Workshop
- Google Quiz
BIKE MECHANICS & TOOL-KIT WORKSHOP
There is also workshop video on Tool Kits after which there will be another quiz.
- Bike Mechanics & Tool-kit Video Workshop
- Google Quiz
BIKE & SUSPENSION SET UP WORKSHOP
Watch the video and make sure you and your students’ bikes are set up for success!
- Bike & Suspension Set Up Video Workshop
3. LEVEL 1 WORKSHEET
This worksheet must be completed in full, with a 100% score, in order to qualify for your Level 1 Recertification. After submitting your answers, you will be able to view your score and edit your answers.
- Level 1 Worksheet
Please read through the details below for information on common questions, before emailing us:
- WHAT HAPPENS IF MY CERTIFICATION IS OLDER THAN THREE YEARS? DO I REALLY NEED TO TAKE THE FULL COURSE AGAIN?
- In short, yes. PMBIA’s mission has always been to improve the teaching and guiding standards within the sport, and having members renew their certification every three years is a key component to supporting this goal. If a member allows their certification to expire, they will need to sign up for the three-day PMBI Level 1, at a discounted rate. Please email email@example.com before registering for the course, to claim the discount. However, particularly now that the re-certification is available worldwide, online, this makes it easier than ever before to remain up to date and ensure your certification remains valid.
- NOTE: ANYONE WHO WAS DUE TO RE-CERTIFY DURING THE 2020 SEASON HAS BEEN GIVEN AN EXTENSION UNTIL THE END OF 2021 DUE TO COVID-19 RELATED RESTRICTIONS.
- HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE BEFORE MY NEW CERTIFICATE IS UPLOADED TO MY MEMBER PROFILE?
- After you have completed the tasks outlined in the Course Booklet, please allow 14 days for the PMBIA Team to review your work and adjust your membership status, accordingly. To make sure you receive a new Level 1 Certificate as soon as possible, be sure to follow the directions in the Course Booklet closely and complete the work carefully and promptly.
- CAN I TAKE ANOTHER COURSE INSTEAD OF HAVING TO DO THE RE-CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
- New for 2021, we are asking Level 1 Instructors to re-certify via the Level 1 online recertification program, only. This ensures instructors stay current with the latest teaching methodologies and information that specifically relate to teaching beginner to intermediate riders; which is still the most common student type within the mountain bike coaching industry.
- The PMBIA highly recommends members continue their development by taking other courses (e.g. Level 2) or modules (e.g. Air Module, Kids Module, Adaptive Module) to up-skill and progress their teaching and riding skills further. Never stop learning!